Last Edited: August 27, 2019 at 6:33 PM
With all the challenges you face in the wild during your adventures in Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, it is helpful to have a set of tools around to support you and the clan. Below is a list of tools and how to create them (once you learn the ability to use both hands from the Neuronal Upgrade Tree).
List of Helpful Tools
- To craft a sharpened stick, you will need to locate dead branches. These can be found in a variety of places on the floor of the jungle or savanna and even in the trees.
- Once you located some dead branches using your intelligence, put the branch in the left hand of your hominid, giving you the option to alter it. Holding the alter button and following the instructions on the HUD while listen for the audio cue will strip the branch, giving you a less messy stick. In this state the stick can be used for defense against predators, fishing, poking holes (catching insects for food), and lifting liftable rocks.
- To sharpen the stick and make it more effective in combat, you will need to locate a rock. Any rock will do, but a basic one will take much longer to sharpen the stick than a refined tool. Put the stick in your off hand, and the rock in the right. Hold the alter button and once again listen for the audio cue on when to release. This can take a lot of whacks (15 with a standard rock), but once it is complete you will see yourself gain some neuronal energy for your efforts.
- Creating a granite grinder is simple, first thing you will want to do is find two rocks of granite using your intelligence. They can usually be found in groups of 4 and are easy to locate basically any where in the savanna.
- Once you have the two rocks, hold the alter button and then follow the instructions on the HUD, listing for an audio cue. After a few whacks, the granite rock you have will become a granite Grinder!
- The Granite grinder can be used to grind down a variety of tools found in the wild, like Khat, to enhance or change their attributes.
- The Obsidian Carver isn’t as good as a Basalt Chopper, but it’s usually easier to come by because obsidian is more plentiful. It’s especially common in caves.
- Simply bang any other rock or tool against a piece of obsidian until the tool is crafted – this takes 8 strikes.
- The Carver speeds up the process of sharpening sticks, taking 6 blows to complete instead of 15. You can also use them to open coconuts for drinking, butchering dead animals, or striking attacking predators (though this does not kill them).
- Like the granite grinder, creating the basalt chopper is as simple as finding two pieces of basalt and banging them together.
- Though not as abundant as granite, basalt is located the same way. Once you have found a group of basalt, pick up two and follow the instructions on the HUD to alter one, listening to the audio cues while you bang the rocks together until you have a basalt chopper!
- The basalt chopper can be used to speed up the process of creating a sharpened stick, taking only 3 hits once you strip a dead branch into a stick. It can also be used to chop up predators for meat after you have killed them defending yourself, or to open a coconut for drinking. In a pinch they can even be used to defend yourself from predators as well.
These four tools will keep you well defended and well fed during your journey across the savanna in Ancestors: The humankind Odyssey. For more tips about how to evolve, be sure to visit the other How To guides, right here on IGN.
Was this guide helpful?